Tuesday, September 6, 2011

And so it begins.

Well, we did it.
We registered for a Distributed Learning program.

This means we are now a semi-homeschooling family.  It means I am now the primary teacher for my grade 5 son.  It means that I am responsible for ensuring that he meets the curriculum criteria for grade 5.  Yikes!!

What have we gotten ourselves into?  I don't know entirely but it's going to be great.

It felt very strange to bring only 2 kids to school today instead of 3.  My oldest child has been attending this school since KG and it has been such a roller-coaster ride of an experience.  He has had some fabulous teachers and some that were simply not interested in furthering his education but teaching to the masses.

I get it.  I get teaching to the masses but at the same time, when my child is one of those masses, he needs to be taught in a way that he will learn and he was not getting that kind of attention.  He couldn't get that kind of attention.  The classes are too big and the teachers are too busy.

So, we take the bull by the horns and we are creating an entirely new educational experience for this brilliant kid of mine.  He's brilliant and I want him to feel brilliant.

I'm not sure that he missed going to school today.  I think he quite enjoyed the fact that he's starting out on a new adventure.  He played well with others at school but didn't really develop any close friendships last year. We went to the learning centre and picked up some text books and we're off and running.  In a few weeks we meet with our supervising teacher who will help us set up a learning plan and we'll take it from there.

What we did today.......I installed INSPIRATION software and my brilliant kid watched all of the tutorials and then gave it a whirl.  Let me tell you - EVERY kid should be using this stuff. AMAZING!  All I can say is amazing. It's something he really needed last year and when I asked about it I got no support and no encouragement...and at one point, no response at all.

EXCITING STUFF.  Tomorrow we're working with PhotoStory and we start our typing program so that becomes a bit easier.

And so it begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment